guideline development group for nice
- Please see below for information regarding applying to be on the Guideline Development Groups for 4 trauma related NICE clinical guidelines. At present, applications are being received from physiotherapists and occupational therapists. Please circulate to your colleagues within these professions. All the information about the application process is on the NICE website – please see below:
- Please note that the deadline for applications is 14th May 2013. All questions should be directed to Amy Kelsey on 020 3075 1267.
You can read Megan's Blakeway's feedback from the first NICE stakeholder workshop HERE
Nationwide clinical trials in hand therapy
- Royal College of Surgeons Surgical Speciality Lead in Plastic and Hand Surgery Mr Abhilash Jain MSc, PhD, FRCS(Plast) HEFCE Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgeon, University of Oxford and Imperial College NHS Trust London, Surgical Specialty Lead BAPRAS and BSSH
- The Royal College of Surgeons has set up an initiative to develop a nationwide surgical clinical trials portfolio. Five clinical trials units were selected to facilitate this. In order to support these units Surgical Specialty Leads (SSLs) were appointed. I was appointed jointly as the SSL in Plastic (BAPRAS) and Hand (BSSH) Surgery. Over the next three years I hope to promote a culture of clinical trials and multi-centre co-operation within hand surgery. This is a valuable resource for members as we now have direct access to epidemiologists, trials methodologists and statisticians experienced in running trials. As part of this initiative I would like encourage collaboration with our colleagues in Hand Therapy to help engage in clinical trials. As an association we will benefit from this and ensure our patients receive the best evidence based treatment. If you would like to take part in this initiative please email me directly at:
email@example.com or visit our website: www.reconstructivesurgerytrials.org
BAHT/BSSH JOINT 2013 CONFERENCE
- Please see the BSSH website to submit an abstract for the 2013 conference, to be held at the Royal College of Surgeons on 17th/18th October. For advice on how to write an abstract you can download information here. NB. Please follow the instructions on the BSSH website in making your application. For up-to-date information on the conference see the BAHT webpage
CLINICAL COMMISSIONING GROUPS AND HAND THERAPY
- As a precursor to the changes within the NHS to Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) has been working towards creation of clinical guidelines for the new CCGs to use when providing care for patients with orthopaedic conditions. This work has been ongoing since September 2012 and has focused on the top 3-5 orthopaedic elective surgical conditions throughout the body. The BOA requested a representative from BAHT to assist with the hand and wrist working group which included consultant surgeon, CCG member, GP and patient representatives. Work has now been completed on carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's disease and 1st CMCJ OA and has been passed back to the BOA. It is hoped these guidelines support current best practice and aid CCGs in making well informed decisions when choosing the most effective care pathway for their patients with mild, moderate and severe disease.
The work completed is still subject to approval by NICE.
Zoe Clift, Education Sub-Committee
Website review - Your ideas please!
- We are planning to review & improve the website this year and would value your input! Please send your ideas/ comments to Katy via the contact page
THE PROFESSIONAL AWARDS COMITTEE
- Would like to invite nominations for a range of national awards, fellowships and more.... See here
BAHT 2012 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- At the 2012 AGM the follwing nominees were succesfully voted on to join the Executive Committee: Katy Mitchell, Bhavana Jha and Melita Ryan. Debbie Miles and Zoe Clift to join the Education Sub-Committee and Lisa Newington and Nicky Bassett-Burr the Clinical Evidence Group. Welcome to all new committee members.
- Minutes are available here
The committee are pleased to report that the vote by members to be formally recognised as a Professional Network by the CSP was successful at the AGM 2012, there were no objections. This enables the Physiotherapy Sub-Group of BAHT to resubmit for recognition once the AGM minutes are completed and forwarded to the CSP. In the meantime BAHT are continuing to pursue a closer relationship with the College of Occupational Therapy and would encourage our OT members to write to the COT to express their desire for recognition.
NICE / COMMISSIONNING GROUP NEWS
Recently BAHT were approached at short notice by the CSP with news that The British Orthopaedic Association and the British Society of Rheumatology are working, with Dept of Health funding, to put together comprehensive commissioning guidance for various body areas which will eventually be endorsed (hopefully) by NICE. They have sought physiotherapists who are experts in their field to join a committee. We are pleased to announce that Zoe Clift agreed to represent BAHT as the hand & wrist expert.
- BAHT are happy to announce that one of our members, Kirsty Bancroft, has been successful in her application to sit on the NICE OA Guidelines Committee as the Occupational Therapist. This means that there will hopefully be some hand therapy representation in the guidelines for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. The vacancy on the committee was highlighted to us after information from the CSP.
BAHT SUBSCRIPTION FEES
- Due to an increase in the cost of producing the Hand Therapy journal and annual inflation, fees for membership will rise slightly in 2013. Details can be found here.